Watch the July 2016 Winning 1pg. Short Screenplay
TREED by Sally Spitzli
This is a black & white silent comedy short with subtitles.
NARRATOR – Sean Kaufmann
VOICE OVER – Elizabeth Rose Morriss
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
A woman uses a child to con a guy at Christmas.
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s a funny little black & white “short” that an audience would enjoy.
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
“The Wizard of Oz”
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I worked on the 1-page script a total of 5 minutes, but the story goes back decades. When I was a divorced parent of a little girl, times were tough and we couldn’t afford the $50 Christmas tree we saw on a lot. My daughter was only 8 years old, but had a sophisticated sense of humor. When I told the salesman I only had $10 to spend, he told me he was sorry but they didn’t have any trees for that price. As he walked away, my daughter tugged at my coat and said, “Mommy, does that mean we can’t have Christmas?” Her timing was perfect and her delivery was Oscar-worthy. The man turned around, looked at her angelic face and said, “Of course, you’re going to have Christmas, Honey.” He took my 10 bucks, nailed the tree to a stand, tied it to the top of my beaten up old VW, and tearfully waved to us as we drove off. On the way home, my little girl said she thought that would be a good movie like those “old ones on TV.”
6. How many stories have you written?
I used to be a travel writer, radio/TV/print commercial copywriter. Presently, I have a TV movie screenplay ready for purchase and I have almost completed a novel. The screenplay is a sweet story that deals with families and Alzheimer’s. The novel is raw and deals with spousal abuse, infidelity and murder.
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
It looked like fun and I already had the story in mind.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Trying to fit it on one page.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
My family, (including the dog) home, charities.
10. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
If something touches you, chances are it will touch other people, as well. Write it down.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Editor: John Johnson
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne