Watch the July 2016 Winning 1pg. Short Screenplay
PRO-PETE by Julie Merrick
Get to know the winning writer Julie Merrick:
1. What is your screenplay about?
Pro-Pete is about a man and a woman who love each other. Leave each other. Hate each other. Nearly die while separated – and then, in the end, forgive each other fully completel
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
A relationship that lives in the aftermath of an abortion is
evocative. The story does not take sides or suggest right or wrong, but instead explores human emotion, with themes of perseverance and forgiveness.
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
To Kill a Mocking Bird.
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Not long (a few months), although I had the idea for a while.
6. How many stories have you written?
Many stories, but I have about 6 complete screenplays written.
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
I like stories that have a core narrative of hope, but that are not afraid to include elements of dark emotion. I don’t think many people dare to write a story that includes abortion (because of it’s controversy and extremes).
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I faced the normal obstacles – writer’s block, writer’s doubt,
writer’s despair, writer’s mania. Finishing a story that satisfies yourself is very difficult (I think for all but the most confident of writers).
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I find playing music difficult, but fun. I also like Super Mario games.
10. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Enjoy the process and keep learning.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Editor: John Johnson
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne