Watch the winning June 2016 short screenplay reading.
APOLLO, THE SUN GOD by Scot Walker
Performed by actor Geoff Mays
Get to know the winning writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
The year is 2016 and Apollo, the Sun god, who has just been retired by his old man, Zeus, after driving the sun around earth 912,500 times, reflecting on his life (and yes, the earth is still the center of the universe, that’s why it circles us as any fool could tell you. . . and one just did!)
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s perfect as a short film and could be a lead-in for a major Hollywood production, such as THE GODS, Then and Now, starring Keanu Reaves as Apollo.
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Wizard of Oz
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
6. How many stories have you written?
Hundreds. Check out Winston Churchill’s American Cousin and Other Tales published by Writers Club Press or email the author at firstname.lastname@example.org for more stories and more information. The author began writing in the late 1950s (and yes there are still writers alive from back then, just as Apollo is still alive from a near-similar time).
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
To see this wonderful play presented on wide screen, in 3-D, andv iewed by billions, including Hollywood moguls and all the rest of us . . . the most common riff raff the gods ever created.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Remember this to the day you die, fellow writers, as words of wisdom from the ancient gods: THERE ARE NO OBSTICLES, ONLY OBSTRUCTORS!
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Gay rights, protecing the rain forest and the ecology of the planet, World Travel (I’ve been to over 100 countries), gardening, music, reading, animals.
10. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received? I am a published poet, short story writer, novelist and playwright. My plays have been produced extensively in my region (Washington DC) and I’ve helped edit seveal short films. This is my first full lenght one-minute film and my extended family (which represents Vietnamese, Haitians, Iberians, Puerto Ricans, East Africans, Russians, and Latinos) and I shall be filling the Verizon Center watching it as it airs across the universe.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson